April 30, 2008

Recipe: Guacamole

There are plenty of guacamole enthusiasts in the US. The authentic Mexican variety is more like a sauce, but in the US the predominant version is thick and chunky. I have seen many weird recipes for guacamole, with all sorts of bells and whistles, but I like my version best. Most good things in life are simple. Guacamole should bring the flavor of avocado to the front, and nothing else should be allowed to mask it. You want to choose an avocado that yields to your fingers, is not brown inside, and can be spread with a butter knife without too much effort.

Ingredients
2 Haas Avocados, peeled and pitted
2 tablespoons lime juice (or lemon juice), OR
Juice of 1 medium lime
A pinch of salt
1 tbsp finely chopped shallot OR red onion [Optional]

Preparation
Put all ingredients in a food processor, or use mortar and pestle. Mix.

Variations
There are many variations. My favorite is to add 1 deseeded chili pepper (Arbol or Thai). I don't like tomatoes in my guacamole. There is something called salsa and it utilizes tomatoes quite well.

No comments: