May 27, 2008

Homemade Sushi



Sushi has gained in popularity in the US dramatically over the past few years. I personally think that Sushi, cheap that it now is, remains very overpriced, and few places serve good Sushi. I don't like the quality and seasoning of rice in many Sushi joints, and find it just overpriced.

Sushi is deceptively easy to make. It's all about the rice, and it doesn't necessarily have raw meat. If you're interested, you can find video instructions on VideoJug. All you need is a sharp knife and a sushi mat.

This is a picture of my homemade sushi with the following fillings:
* Organic avocado and organic cucumber
* Organic avocado and fluffy organic scrambled eggs (green and yellow)

I like throwing some toasted sesame seeds inside my rice. I also like to put some organic ranch dressing, free of vegetable oil. Another colorful idea is to throw some orange roe on top to contrast with the white of rice and green and yellow of filling.

In the middle, I have my dipping sauce, made with dark soy sauce, sugar, salt and lots of sesame seeds. My sushi pieces are not perfectly round, something I am still trying to achieve consistently.

No comments: